I have been trying to think ahead a little this year. One thing, even though I get through it with no issue, is never having anything in stock encase of bad weather or no electricity. So with the change is eating I haven’t had much in stock as far as dry goods is concerned.
Ever watch The Walking Dead and see them carry all the canned food they can find? NO lie this fact is what made me think about this. No I don’t want a HUGE can of chocolate pudding like what Carl ate by himself. Which lets be honest, you know he was sick as a dog after eating all that sugar. lol They wont tell you that.
So you ask yourself, What can I buy canned that will match the paleo/primal diet? Granted it will not be 100%. Here is what I came up with, any suggestions would be nice to hear.
1) Canned fruit! Try not to get any in heavy syrups, and if there is a organic option that seems the better option get it. Pineapple seems the easiest to can. You can also grab pineapple juice, or canned grape juice. Get 100% fruit juice not made from concentrate.
2) Canned greens. So far I have only seen canned Spinach without added ingredients. I will keep on the look out.
3) Green beans and garden peas. The two things I have heard the most arguments about on if they are or are not okay to eat. Don’t care I am keeping them. Stay away from navy, pinto, pork n beans and kidney beans.
4) Canned sweet potatoes and pumpkin is a great addition especially when they are not in season!
5) Preserved pickles, peppers, olives, etc.. Just read the label and know what you can eat.
6) Wild rice. From what I have read wild rice is okay occasionally.
7) Mushrooms and asparagus.
8) Apple sauce
9) Beef jerky, or other dried meat.
Now I will buy one extra can of each of these a month just to stock up my cabinets. Of course there are some guilty pleasures like fried apples…..
So if the world goes to shit, I have a month supply of reasonable eats.😛